Years ago, a deck was built with one material – wood. Now there are many options that also include different types of wood! If you get excited about design details, do not overlook the different choices of deck material. There is no right or wrong answer when it comes to what material to use. Sure, some choices may be better choices for you and your back yard, but most materials are compatible with most site conditions. D.A Gracey always likes to use a substructure of pressure treated wood. This helps with the longevity of the deck. The decking itself can then be chosen to suit the homeowner.
Wood is the most commonly used product for decks. It used to be that you had two options; pressure treated wood or cedar. Now there are new wood products coming up all the time and all are readily available. Cedar decking is the classic look. You do not need to stain your deck, but it will help with preserving the natural colour of the deck. You should re-stain your deck every 2 to 3 years. If you do not stain it, it fades to a soft grey color. Cedar requires regular maintenance but it is worth it.
Ipe wood decking is a beautiful material that has a great rich color. Ipe is an exotic hardwood that is naturally resistant to rot, splinters and decay. This wood has a long life span because of those factors. It is great for children because it takes the worry of splinters away. The down side to this wonder product? The price is on the higher end. If you have the passion for this glorious hardwood decking and the will to pay for longevity, then Ipe is the product for you.
One of the newest materials being used are composites. They come in many natural wood colors, and offer a very low maintenance option. They also have a long life span. They appear seamless and are a favorite among the D.A Gracey clients. They have the look of wood without the maintenance associated with it.
These are our top three decking materials. D.A Gracey often uses Trex, a composite product. It is important to pick the material that will suit you, your family and your lifestyle. Most importantly, the material you choose should excite you! You will be using your deck to lounge, entertain, and just flat out enjoy life so make the choice you want!
By: Courtney Cotter
Last updated by Christine at .
- 01 Sep 2015TORONTO LANDSCAPING: TOP 10 REASONS TO LOVE MAPLE TREES
- 12 Aug 2015INSPIRATION FOR THE RE-IMAGINATION OF YOUR GARDEN
- 06 Jul 2015SHARING SPACE WITH OUR FURRY FRIENDS
- 29 May 2015TOP TEN BENEFITS OF RESIDENTIAL LANDSCAPING IN TORONTO
- 15 May 2015SITE FURNISHINGS AS A FINISHING TOUCH TO YOUR LANDSCAPE
- 01 May 2015TORONTO RESIDENTIAL CONTAINER GARDENING
- 17 Apr 2015THE EDIBLE GARDEN
- 03 Apr 2015TORONTO LANDSCAPING TIPS FOR A HEALTHY LAWN
- 20 Mar 2015DOWN, DIRTY AND QUICK LANDSCAPE IMPROVEMENTS
- 06 Mar 2015TORONTO LANDSCAPING WITH SHRUBS FOR FLORAL ARRANGEMENTS